“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” – Albert Camus
September 22 is known as Autumnal Equinox, when the day and night are of equal length. A day that has been long interpreted to mean the world is in balance. With our hectic lives, autumn can seem to come and go so quickly that before we know it- we find ourselves in the dead of winter without truly enjoying this amazing time of the year.
We at The Flower Factory would like to share 5 activities we’ve found, of ways to enjoy this beautiful season even more!
- Apple Picking: Riley’s Farm in Oak Glen is a working apple orchard and living history farm where you can pick apples, pumpkins, berries, flowers and more. You can also press your own cider, watch a blacksmith working, churn some sweet butter, dip your own candles and even throw tomahawks. They also have a beautiful wildflower garden- which is a great backdrop for taking pictures of the kids for holiday cards!
- Discover Debs Park: 10 minutes north of downtown Los Angeles, Debs Park has nearly 300 acres of wilderness and hiking trails. Debs Park is quiet and secluded away from the hustle and bustle of the city, perfect to enjoy the changing colors of autumn leaves. While visiting you are likely to see Hummingbirds, Hawks and even a Falcon flying above, and cottontail rabbits hopping below. A great stop for nature walks with the family.
- Whale watching: Whether by boat or by land don’t miss the pods of blue whales, and their calves, congregating a few miles off the coast of Long Beach. There are several companies that offer sight-seeing tours, like Harbor Breeze Cruises and Newport Landing Whale Watching, which offer special rates for kids and provide a wealth of information about whale migration patterns and other interesting facts that will make you and your child a whale expert.
- Make some noise: At Hollenbeck Park in Boyle Heights every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month from 1-6pm, come and bang on anything that makes noise at the East Side Drum Circle. Instruments range from pots, pans, spoons, forks, guitars, bongos, and of course hands and feet. Family friendly, it’s perfect for the little ones to be as loud as they want while making new friends. It’s a perfect time of the year to get out and enjoy the changing colors of autumn with music.
- Fly a kite: Spend an afternoon at Bruce’s Beach at Highland and 27th Enjoy amazing views of the ocean and the sunset spread out across three beautiful acres. Grassy hillsides make it perfect for kite-flying and with October approaching fast the seasonal wind makes it ideal. One of the oldest parks in Manhattan Beach- and another great place to visit during the beautiful season of fall.
However you choose to spend quality time with your family, The Flower Factory encourages everyone to take some time outdoors and enjoy the beauty of fall.